Saturday, February 2, 2008

Intelligencer AAAA Projections

Intelligencer girls basketball beat writer Todd Thorpe spent a good deal of time going through the numbers over the last few days. His Class AAAA district projections are on his blog at http://blogs.phillyburbs.com/intelgirlshoop.

There are a lot of guesses flying around the Internet and too many numbers for me to spend hours calculating, but if Todd felt confident enough to publish these rankings, I'd bet they're very close to the actual numbers.

The Courier Times will publish my projections on Sunday. But my 32-team field projection is based on how I think the teams should be seeded using the old method of subjective thought and analysis. I'm not a fan of this new number-crunching method. I don't understand the need for it, and I don't think it works.

Basically, it does not reward teams for playing tough nonleague schedules, completely disregards the final league standings and ignores teams that improved during the season and were playing their best by late January. Oh, and it thoroughly confuses everyone. To me, those four significant problems are enough reasons to return to the old system.